Syllabus for Informatica PowerCenter 7 Advanced Mapping Design Exam
The PowerCenter 7 Mapping Design examination is composed of the twelve sections listed below. In order to ensure that you are prepared for the test, review the subtopics associated with each section. The Informatica documentation is an excellent source of information on the material that will be covered in the examination. If you are thoroughly knowledgeable in the areas mentioned in this Skill Set Inventory, you will do well on the examination.
The examination is designed to test for “expert level” knowledge. Informatica strongly urges you to attain a complete understanding of these topics before you attempt to take the examination. Hands-on experience with the software is the best way to gain this understanding.
1. XML sources and targets
- Be familiar with the procedures and methods involved in defining an XML source definition.
- Know how to define and use an XML target definition.
- Know the limitations associated with using XML targets.
- Understand how XML definitions are related to code pages.
- Know how to edit existing XML definitions.
- Understand how the Designer validates XML sources.
2. Data type formats and conversions
- Understand the date / time formats available in the transformation language.
- Be familiar with how transformation functions handle null values.
- Know the valid input data types for the various conversion functions.
- Know how transformation functions behave when given incorrectly formatted arguments.
- Know how to extract a desired subset of data from a given input (the hour from a date/time, for example).
3. The Debugger
- Be familiar with the procedure to run a debug session.
- Know the rules for working with breakpoints.
- Know how to test expressions in a debug session.
- Be familiar with the options available while using the debugger.
- Know how debugger session properties and breakpoints can be saved.
4. Custom and Union transformations
- Understand how the Custom transformation works and what makes it Passive vs. Active.
- Understand the limitations of the Custom and Union transformations; modes, Input/Output groups, scope, etc.
- Know the purpose of the Union transformation.
5. Designer enhancements
- New functions of PowerCenter 7 and how they work.
- Know how validation within PowerCenter 7 works in regards to child and parent relationships in a versioned and/or non-versioned repository.
- Be familiar with Copy/Paste ability.
6. Normalizer transformation
- Be familiar with the possible uses of the Normalizer transformation.
- Understand how to read a COBOL data source in a mapping.
- Be familiar with the rules regarding reusable Normalizer transformations.
- Know how the OCCURS COBOL keyword affects the Normalizer transformation.
7. Dynamic and shared lookup caches
- Know the difference between static and dynamic Lookup caches.
- Know the default cache properties.
- Know the advantages and disadvantages of dynamic Lookup caches.
- Be familiar with the rules regarding Lookup SQL overrides.
8. Mapping parameters and variables
- Understand the purposes of mapping parameters and variables.
- Know the parameter order of precedence.
- Know how to view pre-defined parameters and variables.
- Understand how to use the property mapping variable aggregation type.
- Be familiar with the rules affecting parameters used with mapplets and reusable transformations
9. Data Previewer
- Know the connectivity requirements and options for the Previewer.
- Know the limitations of the Previewer.
- Know where you can use the Previewer.
10. Advanced expressions
- Be familiar with all special functions, such as ABORT and ERROR.
- Know the allowable input data types for the Informatica functions.
- Understand how to use expressions to set variables.
- Know the details behind the meaning and use of expression time stamps.
- Be familiar with the use of conditional aggregate functions.
11. Mapping optimization
- Know how to obtain performance data for individual transformations.
- Know when is the best time in the development cycle to optimize mappings.
- Be familiar with specific mapping optimization techniques described in the documentation.
12. Version control
- Know the difference between a deleted object and a purged object.
- Understand parent/child relationships in a versioned repository.
- Understand Object History and how/when objects get versioned.